Clubby's Pest Control

Call Now on 0433 648 140

termites brisbane

Home and Garden Pesticide Risks

One of the most commonly asked questions by homeowners is, “will my pet be safe around pest control chemicals?”. It’s an understandable concern for anyone with a companion inclined to taste test any new fragrance or scratch up against the skirting boards. This, along with visions of shrivelled-up garden beds or contaminated vegetables, are all genuine concerns when using strong insecticides in pest control for residential treatments.

Are pest chemicals dangerous to plants?

When it comes to plants, the base chemicals in pesticides can irreparably damage a variety of plants as well as stunt any future growth from their seedlings. Several telltale signs of vegetation affected by chemicals – also known as phytotoxicity – typically become noticeable within 3-7 days after contact.

active termite control near me

Phytotoxic indicators in plants:

  • Leaf burn
  • Leaf drop
  • Discoloured leaves
  • Curled leaves
  • Abnormal plant growth
  • Plant death
pest inspections Brisbane

Should I be worried about Phytotoxicity?

However, the risk is relatively low regarding the chances of this occurring after a visit from a pest inspector. This is generally due to how professional treatment differs from the DIY application of these chemicals. Commonly, the improperly measured ratio of chemicals results in plant damage. In addition to the amount applied, the distribution area also affects the severity of a plant’s reaction. During professional treatment, small amounts of the treatment are sprayed into the air, spreading and encompassing a more extensive area rather than applying to an individual plant. This approach ensures the pesticides are measured and then distributed in a way that does not expose the vegetation to a damaging level of chemicals.

pest inspection near me

Unlike a bed of begonias, however, our pets tend to be a little more inquisitive and have a higher chance of ingesting the chemical. Now while the ratio of the chemicals used and the area of distribution still limit the severity of a reaction, the simple fact is that ingesting a chemical or toxic material will pose a more significant risk than if only encountered by touch. In general treatment, a spray should not pose any fatal harm, but it’s better to be safe than to spend a night at the vet.

How dangerous is a treatment to my pet?

pet friendly termite treatment

Once the spray has dried, there is no threat, so we suggest keeping pets in a separate area at least for an hour after the pest control company has wrapped up. If your property is being treated for rodents, it’s always best to advise pest control before laying bait and traps. Usually, applying traps in roof cavities yields good results while mitigating the chance of your pets coming across them during their daily routine. Rodent poison will pose the most significant risk if left out, as ingestion can be fatal without immediate veterinary intervention. 

Clubby’s Pest Control is a licensed industry professional with expert skills in mixing and preparing treatments specific to the location. This means that our pest control for residential or commercial properties – regardless of the size of the location or the seriousness of the pest problem – we assess and proceed with treatments according to high-level industry and in-house standards.

 

Pest control is just as necessary as keeping your oven clean, or car serviced. Clubby’s trusted pest management solutions ensures peace of mind in your treatment so the liveability of your home and its residents’ wellbeing are never at risk.

Scroll to Top